Deadly fibrecap is highly toxic for dogs
The deadly fibrecap occurs in deciduous forests and parks, e.g. near beech and/or linden trees in Europe. Its cap is whitish at first and later changes from yellow to brown to reddish and becomes more and more frayed with age. It has a slight dent at the top in the middle. The lamellae can also become whitish at first and later yellowish-brown.
The stem is somewhat thickened at the bottom and can vary from white to grey-brown.
All parts of the deadly fibrecap are very poisonous to dogs.
Deadly fibrecap is also known as:
- brick-red tear mushroom
- red-staining Inocybe
What should I do if my dog ate Deadly fibrecap?
How toxic is Deadly fibrecap?
|Toxic parts:||All parts of the deadly fibrecap are highly toxic.|
|Toxic time:||spring, summer|
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.
Occurrence Deadly fibrecap
The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with the deadly fibrecap:
- increased salivation
- watery eyes
- increased mucus secretion
- stomach pain
- shortness of breath
- increased urge to urinate
- in the case of severe poisoning, circulatory failure may occur
The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.
There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:
1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body.
Furthermore, the vet can administer the antidote and give oxygen in case of shortness of breath.
More information on dog poisonings can be found here: