Cypress is toxic for dogs

Cupressus toxic

The cypress is a genus of the Cupressaceae family. Cypresses are evergreen shrubs or trees whose trunk becomes woody over time. They come in different shapes and sizes. Their shape can be pendulous, upright or spreading. The best known is the Mediterranean cypress, which is also called the pencil pine. It grows to a height of approx. 4-6 m and mainly grows in the Mediterranean region.

Cypresses flower very inconspicuously with elongated flowers, the cones are light brown and spherical in shape.

All parts of the cypress are poisonous to dogs. Therefore, dogs should not play with twigs or branches of the cypress.

Cypress avenue in Tuscany

What should I do if my dog ate Cypress?

How toxic is Cypress?

Toxicity:toxic (toxic)
Toxic parts:The entire cypress is toxic.
Toxic time:winter, spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Cypress

Plant species:tree
Occurrence:Gardens, Parks, Forests
Areas:Mediterranean region
Flowering time:spring
Fruit ripening:summer, autumn

Symptoms

The following symptoms may appear in case of poisoning with the cypress:

  • mucous membrane of the mouth is reddened
  • increased salivation (drooling)
  • vomiting
  • stomach pain
  • diarrhoea
  • muscle cramps

In very severe cases, which however occur rather rarely, death may result from respiratory paralysis.

Treatment

The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body. 

To alleviate the symptoms of poisoning, the vet can give infusions and medication to relieve pain and muscle spasms if necessary.

More information on dog poisonings can be found here: 

Preventing, identifying and treating poisoning in dogs

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy