Cypress spurge is toxic for dogs

Euphorbia cyparissias toxic

The cypress spurge belongs to the Euphorbiaceae
family. It is a blue-yellow-greenish plant that reaches a maximum height of 50 cm. It has been given the name cypress spurge because of its needle-like leaves.

The flowers are initially inconspicuous yellow-green and fade to red.

The cypress spurge is found along roadsides, on dry meadows and especially in gardens as well as in the mountains.

The entire plant is poisonous to dogs, especially the milk sap of the cypress spurge.

Cypress spurge with yellow flowers

What should I do if my dog ate Cypress spurge?

How toxic is Cypress spurge?

Toxicity:toxic (toxic)
Toxic parts:Confusion can occur with other equally toxic euphorbias such as the petty spurge.
Toxic time:spring, summer, autumn
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Cypress spurge

Plant species:Garden and wild plant, perennial
Occurrence:Gardens, Meadows
Flowering time:spring, summer, autumn
Fruit ripening:-


The following symptoms may occur with cypress spurge poisoning:

  • skin reactions on contact
  • burning sensation in the mouth
  • increased salivation
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • stomach pain
  • bloody diarrhoea

In the case of severe poisoning, the following symptoms may also occur in addition:

  • movement disorders
  • tremors
  • cramps
  • palpitations
  • blood in the urine
  • drop in blood pressure
  • death may occur due to circulatory collapse


The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body. 

Furthermore, in case of severe symptoms of poisoning, the vet can administer infusions and give medication against pain and cramps as well as to protect the stomach lining.

More information on dog poisonings can be found here: 

Preventing, identifying and treating poisoning in dogs


DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
Über uns - Imprint - Privacy Policy