Common poppy is toxic for dogs

Papaver rhoeas toxic

The common poppy is a mostly annual, deciduous flowering plant that grows to a height of approx. 20-80 cm. The stem is very thin and hairy and contains a whitish milky latex. The green leaves are pinnate and also hairy. The beautiful red flowers can be seen from May to July along field sides, in meadows or in gardens. The common poppy is a member of the poppy family (Papaveraceae), where it belongs to the poppy genus (Papaver).

Symptoms of poppy poisoning in dogs fortunately only occur after ingestion of large amounts of common poppy and are rarely fatal. But ingestion can cause nausea and diarrhoea, and in more severe cases, respiratory distress and convulsions.

There are other poppy plants, such as the oriental poppy (Papaver orientale), the golden poppy (Eschscholzia californica) and the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum), some of which can even be highly toxic to dogs.

Poisonous relative: opium poppy

Opium poppy is related to the common poppy and looks similar to it, but is very poisonous due to its high content of morphine. The United Kingdom does not require a license for opium poppy cultivation, but does for extracting opium for medicinal products. In the United States, opium poppies and poppy straw are prohibited.


Common poppy is also known as:
  • corn poppy
  • corn rose
  • field poppy
  • Flanders poppy
  • red poppy

What should I do if my dog ate Common poppy?

How toxic is Common poppy?

Toxicity:toxic (toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the plant contain the slightly toxic rhoeadine, but especially the white milky latex. The seeds of the common poppy are not considered poisonous, but it is better not to feed them either.
Toxic time:-
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Common poppy

Plant species:flower, Garden and wild plant
Occurrence:Fields and farmland, Unbuilt land, Gardens, Meadows
Areas:Asia, Europe
Flowering time:spring, summer
Fruit ripening:summer


Symptoms of common poppy poisoning in dogs may include:

  • stomach and intestinal problems such as nausea and diarrhoea
  • increased salivation
  • agitation
  • weakness, drowsiness

In the case of very severe poisoning:

  • breathing difficulties and respiratory paralysis possible
  • dilated pupils
  • convulsions, tremors, paralysis
  • slow heart rate
  • unconsciousness and coma
  • cases of death are very rare


The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.

2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.

3. VOMITING: It is also possible to induce vomiting with the aid of medication to remove the toxin from the body, provided the dog is not in shock or unconscious. Vomiting should only be induced by a vet and never self-administered.

If the symptoms of poisoning are very severe, the vet will give artificial respiration for severe breathing problems and administer infusions and anticonvulsant medication.

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
Über uns - Imprint - Privacy Policy