Common oak is highly toxic for dogs

Quercus robur highly toxic

The oak is the second most common tree in the UK, particularly numerous in southern and central England. It is a deciduous tree with deep-fissured bark and acorns as fruit. The relatively hard, distinctive round-lobed leaves are characteristic of oaks. Its flowers are very inconspicuous, the acorns that ripen in autumn are green at the beginning and only turn brown later.

All parts of the oak, but particularly the acorns, are highly poisonous for dogs. They contain tannins that are very toxic for dogs.

Especially in autumn, acorns that have fallen from the tree pose a danger to dogs if they play with them. Also, no branches or sticks from the oak tree should be used for playing with the dog.


Common oak is also known as:
  • pedunculate oak
  • European oak
  • English oak
Acorns in green and brown on an oak branch with oak leaves

What should I do if my dog ate Common oak?

How toxic is Common oak?

Toxicity:highly toxic (highly toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the oak, but particularly the acorns, can be highly poisonous for animals.
Toxic time:winter, spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Common oak

Plant species:tree
Occurrence:Avenues, Gardens, Parks, Forests
Areas:Central Europe
Flowering time:spring
Fruit ripening:autumn

Symptoms

Symptoms of oak tree poisoning in dogs may include:

  • Vomiting
  • Constipation
  • Diarrhoea (including bloody diarrhoea)
  • Loss of appetite and thirst
  • Apathy
  • Colic
  • Decreased urination or even failure to urinate
  • Yellow mucous membranes

Treatment

The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

  1. Activated charcoal: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
  2. Laxatives: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
  3. Medication: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body.

To alleviate the symptoms of poisoning, the vet may also administer infusions and/or medication to protect the stomach lining.

More information on dog poisonings can be found here: 

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2022 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy