Lords-and-ladies is toxic for dogs

Arum maculatum toxic

The lords-and-ladies is a perennial, herbaceous plant that can grow to a height of approx. 40 cm. The basal arrow-like leaves can grow up to 20 cm long. Some varieties have spotted leaves, but this need not be the case. The light to yellow-green rolled flowers usually have yellow anthers. The berries, which hang in bunches from the fruit, are greenish at first and bright red when ripe.

All parts of the lords-and-ladies are poisonous. They contain plant toxins such as oxalic acids, saponins and hydrogen cyanide, which can quickly cause severe irritation of the mucous membranes.


Lords-and-ladies is also known as:
  • Adam and Eve
  • adder's meat
  • adder's root
  • arum
  • wild arum
  • arum lily
  • bobbins
  • cows and bulls
  • cuckoopint
  • cuckoo-plant
  • devils and angels
  • friar's cowl
  • jack in the pulpit
  • lamb-in-a-pulpit
  • naked boys
  • snakeshead
  • starch-root
  • wake-robin
Lords-and-ladies

What should I do if my dog ate Lords-and-ladies?

How toxic is Lords-and-ladies?

Toxicity:toxic (toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the lords-and-ladies are poisonous.
Toxic time:spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Lords-and-ladies

Plant species:Garden and wild plant
Occurrence:Forests
Areas:Europe
Flowering time:spring
Fruit ripening:summer, autumn

Symptoms

The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with the lords-and-ladies:

  • increased salivation
  • irritation and swelling of the mucous membrane
  • shortness of breath
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • abdominal pain
  • diarrhoea

In case of severe poisoning, the following symptoms may also occur:

  • dysphagia (swallowing difficulties)
  • palpitations
  • drop in blood pressure
  • in very rare cases, death due to respiratory arrest

Treatment

While in the case of acute poisoning one should often try to remove the poison from the body, if necessary by vomiting, this is not advisable in the case of the lords-and-ladies. This is because the poison can irritate the mucous membranes so much that shortness of breath can occur.

The vet can cool and treat irritated areas and give calcium-containing drinks or food. The administration of painkillers and monitoring of heart and kidney function are other possible therapies.

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy