Marsh calla is toxic for dogs

Calla palustris toxic

The marsh calla is the only plant of the genus Calla within the Araceae family. It is a rare native marsh plant that can also be found in damp meadows and on the banks of water bodies.

The marsh calla grows up to 30 cm high and flowers between May and July. The yellowish-green flower shaft is surrounded by a large white petal. After flowering, bright red berries develop on the stem. The leaves of the marsh calla sprout directly from the root. The green leaves are almost heart-shaped and on long stems.


Marsh calla is also known as:
  • bog arum
  • wild calla
  • squaw claw
  • water-arum
Flower of the marsh calla

What should I do if my dog ate Marsh calla?

How toxic is Marsh calla?

Toxicity:toxic (toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the marsh calla are poisonous to dogs.
Toxic time:-
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Marsh calla

Plant species:flower
Occurrence:Riparian woodland, Parks
Areas:Northern Europe
Flowering time:spring, summer
Fruit ripening:summer, autumn

Symptoms

The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with a marsh calla (Calla palustris):

  • increased salivation
  • irritation of the mucous membrane of the mouth and swelling
  • shortness of breath
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • stomach pain

In the case of very severe poisoning, the following additional symptoms may occur:

  • palpitations
  • heart and circulatory problems
  • kidney problems (increased urination, decreased to no urination)
  • faintness
  • death may occur due to respiratory arrest

Treatment

While in the case of acute poisoning one should often try to remove the poison from the body, if necessary by vomiting, this is not advisable in the case of the marsh calla (Calla pallustris). This is because the poison can irritate the mucous membranes so much that shortness of breath can occur.

The vet can cool and treat irritated areas and give calcium-containing drinks or even food in case of poisoning with the marsh calla. The administration of painkillers and monitoring of heart and kidney function are other possible therapies.

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy