Kris plant is toxic for dogs

Alocasia sanderiana toxic

The kris plant belongs to the Araceae family and is an evergreen perennial houseplant. It is an ornamental plant whose heart- or arrow-shaped large leaves can occur in many variations and have silvery veins. The flowers are bulbous and white.

Be careful: all parts of the kris plant are poisonous. Even the water in the saucer may still contain toxins. The kris plant contains oxalates and oxalic acids, which are poisonous for dogs. These can cause severe damage to the kidneys.


Kris plant is also known as:
  • Sander's alocasia
Kris plant with typical white veins

What should I do if my dog ate Kris plant?

How toxic is Kris plant?

Toxicity:toxic (toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the kris plant are poisonous.
Toxic time:winter, spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Kris plant

Plant species:Indoor plant
Occurrence:Indoor
Areas:-
Flowering time:summer, autumn
Fruit ripening:-

Symptoms

The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with the kris plant:

  • irritation of the mucous membrane of the mouth and swelling
  • increased salivation
  • nausea, vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • stomach pain
  • shortness of breath

In the case of very severe poisoning, the following additional symptoms may occur:

  • palpitations
  • heart problems
  • kidney problems (first increased, then decreased urine flow)
  • death may occur due to respiratory paralysis

Treatment

While in acute poisoning, attempts should often be made to remove the poison from the body, this is not advisable in the case of kris plant, as the poison can irritate the mucous membranes and cause shortness of breath.

The vet will cool and treat irritated areas in case of poisoning with kris plant.

Calcium may also be given and painkillers if needed.

If the poisoning is severe, the vet may place the dog's heart and kidney function under observation for a critical period of time.

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy