Meadow buttercup is toxic for dogs

Ranunculus acris toxic

The meadow buttercup is a perennial, relatively bare meadow plant that can reach a maximum height of 80 cm.

It has long-stalked, narrow leaves and a golden-yellow flower on a long stem.

All parts of the meadow buttercup (common buttercup) are poisonous to dogs. However, when dried, the buttercup loses its poison.


Meadow buttercup is also known as:
  • tall buttercup
  • common buttercup
  • giant buttercup
Meadow buttercup

What should I do if my dog ate Meadow buttercup?

How toxic is Meadow buttercup?

Toxicity:toxic (toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the meadow buttercup (common buttercup) are poisonous to dogs. However, when dried, the buttercup loses its poison.
Toxic time:spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Meadow buttercup

Plant species:herbs
Occurrence:Gardens, Meadows
Areas:Europe
Flowering time:spring, summer, autumn
Fruit ripening:-

Symptoms

After ingesting meadow buttercup (common buttercup), the following symptoms may occur in the dog:

  • irritation of the stomach with increased salivation
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea

In case of larger amounts, the following additional symptoms may occur:

  • severe abdominal pain
  • cramps
  • severe reddening of the mucous membrane of the mouth
  • death may occur due to respiratory paralysis

Treatment

The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body. 

In addition, depending on the degree of poisoning and the symptoms, the vet can give the animal infusions and administer medicines that protect the mucous membrane.

More information on dog poisonings can be found here: 

Preventing, identifying and treating poisoning in dogs

 

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy