Lilac is toxic for dogs
The common lilac is a deciduous shrub or small tree that reaches a maximum height of 6 metres. The light green, almost heart-shaped leaves and the large, mostly purple flower panicles with the strong and sweet fragrance are well-known by almost everyone. It is very popular with insects and butterflies. The fruits are brownish capsules.
All parts of the common lilac are poisonous to dogs.
Lilac is also known as:
- common lilac
What should I do if my dog ate Lilac?
How toxic is Lilac?
|Toxic parts:||All parts of the common lilac are poisonous.|
|Toxic time:||winter, spring, summer, autumn|
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.
|Plant species:||tree, Garden and wild plant, Shrub|
|Occurrence:||Gardens, Parks, Forests|
|Flowering time:||spring, summer|
Symptoms of lilac poisoning in dogs may include:
- severe abdominal pain
The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.
There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:
1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body.
More information on dog poisonings can be found here:
Further poisonous plants from A to Z
DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.