Common lantana is toxic for dogs
The common lantana is a small deciduous shrub that is used as a garden and indoor ornamental plant. It originally comes from America and belongs to the Verbenaceae family. It is often offered as a tub plant in a tall trunk.
The striking flowers change colour during flowering from mostly yellow, orange to pink, red or purple, which has also given the plant its name. The fruits are black berries.
All parts of the common lantana are poisonous, but especially the berries.
What should I do if my dog ate Common lantana?
How toxic is Common lantana?
|Toxic parts:||All parts of the common lantana are poisonous, but especially the berries.|
|Toxic time:||winter, spring, summer, autumn|
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.
Occurrence Common lantana
|Plant species:||flower, Shrub|
|Flowering time:||summer, autumn|
The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning by a common lantana:
- loss of appetite
- stomach pain
- constipation or diarrhoea
- yellowing of the mucous membranes
- kidney problems in the form of an increased urge to urinate or failure to urinate
- death may occur due to liver or/and kidney failure
The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.
There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:
1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body.
Furthermore, depending on the degree of poisoning, the vet can administer infusions and use medication to protect the liver and force urine excretion.
More information on dog poisonings can be found here: