Common grape vine is highly toxic for dogs

Vitis vinifera highly toxic

Grapevines are woody, climbing shrubs that grow similarly to lianas when not cut. They are used as cultivated plants for the production of grapes and wine or as ornamental plants in gardens or on walls. The leaves, green in summer, are large and typically heart-shaped. The flowers are inconspicuous, the fruits come in the form of green or red hanging grapes.

Especially for dogs, the grapes are very poisonous. The other parts of the plant, however, are only slightly poisonous.

Vine with red grapes (South Tyrol)

What should I do if my dog ate Common grape vine?

How toxic is Common grape vine?

Toxicity:highly toxic (highly toxic)
Toxic parts:Grapes (the fruit) are particularly toxic to dogs. The other parts of the plant are only slightly poisonous.
Toxic time:spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Common grape vine

Plant species:Garden and wild plant, fruit, Shrub
Occurrence:Fields and farmland, Unbuilt land, Gardens
Areas:Western Europe
Flowering time:summer
Fruit ripening:autumn

Symptoms

The following symptoms may occur with grape poisoning:

  • burning sensation in the mouth
  • increased salivation
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • stomach pain
  • diarrhoea
  • lethargy

Later, decreased urine output and even failure to pass urine may develop. Death may occur due to kidney failure.

Treatment

The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body. 

Furthermore, depending on the degree of poisoning, the vet can administer infusions and, if necessary, try to support the kidney functions.

More information on dog poisonings can be found here: 

Preventing, identifying and treating poisoning in dogs

 

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2022 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy