Wax plant is toxic for dogs
The wax plant is also known as the porcelainflower. It belongs to the dogbane family Apocynaceae and is originally found in Asia, Australia and Oceania. It is an evergreen, climbing shrub whose oval, leathery green leaves have irregular white small spots. The flowers often grow hanging in umbels with about 30 small flowers in white and soft pink. They have a very sweet fragrance.
But beware: all parts of the wax plant are poisonous to dogs.
Wax plant is also known as:
What should I do if my dog ate Wax plant?
How toxic is Wax plant?
|Toxic parts:||All parts of the wax plant are poisonous.|
|Toxic time:||winter, spring, summer, autumn|
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.
Occurrence Wax plant
|Plant species:||Indoor plant|
|Flowering time:||spring, summer|
The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with the wax plant:
- increased salivation
- irritation and swelling of the mucous membrane of the mouth
- shortness of breath
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain
In case of very severe poisoning, the following symptoms may also occur:
- movement and consciousness disorders
- heart and circulatory problems
- death can occur due to cardiac arrest
The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.
There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:
1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body.
In case of severe poisoning, the vet can give the antidote if available. Infusions and medication can reduce symptoms and if the poisoning is severe, the vet will monitor the important body functions over the critical period.
More information on dog poisonings can be found here: