Walnut tree is toxic for dogs

Juglans regia toxic

The walnut tree is a deciduous, spreading tree that can reach a height of approx. 30 m. It is a very popular garden and cultivation tree because of its fruits, the walnuts. Because of its fruits, the walnuts, it is a very popular garden and cultivated tree. The leaves are elongated oval and large. They turn yellowish brown in autumn.

The flowers are inconspicuous, the fruits are roundish-oval nuts that have a green soft shell around them and are brown and hard inside.

The entire walnut tree is poisonous to dogs, but especially the fruit shell surrounding the nut. It can harbour poisonous fungi that contain tannins and alkaloids that are toxic to dogs.

Also make sure that your dog does not play with a small stick (twig or branch) from the walnut tree.


Walnut tree is also known as:
  • Persian walnut
  • English walnut
  • Carpathian walnut
  • Madeira walnut
  • common walnut
Walnut tree branch with fruit in green sheath

What should I do if my dog ate Walnut tree?

How toxic is Walnut tree?

Toxicity:toxic (toxic)
Toxic parts:The whole plant is toxic, but especially the fruit shell that surrounds the nut.
Toxic time:winter, spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Walnut tree

Plant species:tree
Occurrence:Gardens, Parks, Forests
Areas:Central Europe
Flowering time:spring, summer
Fruit ripening:autumn

Symptoms

The following symptoms may appear in case of poisoning by a walnut tree:

  • vomiting
  • stomach pain
  • diarrhoea
  • constipation
  • apathy
  • loss of appetite
  • colic
  • bloody diarrhoea
  • increased water intake
  • increased urine output
  • blood in the urine
  • yellowish colouring of the mucous membranes

Treatment

The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body. 

To alleviate the symptoms of poisoning, the vet can administer infusions and medication to protect the stomach lining.

More information on dog poisonings can be found here: 

Preventing, identifying and treating poisoning in dogs

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2022 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy