Tuberous begonia is toxic for dogs
The begonia (tuberous begonia) is a perennial herbaceous plant that is popular as a garden and balcony plant as well as a houseplant. It belongs to the Begoniaceae family and there are many varieties in a wide range of sizes and colours. The leaves are reddish-green, the remarkable flowers usually pink or red.
Begonias are popular in flower pots both indoors and in the garden or in flower beds. All parts of the begonia are poisonous to dogs, especially the roots or the water in the pot.
What should I do if my dog ate Tuberous begonia?
How toxic is Tuberous begonia?
|Toxic parts:||All parts of the begonia are poisonous, especially the roots and the water in the pot.|
|Toxic time:||winter, spring, summer, autumn|
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.
Occurrence Tuberous begonia
|Occurrence:||Gardens, Bucket, Parks, Indoor|
|Flowering time:||spring, summer, autumn|
Symptoms of begonia poisoning in dogs may include:
- increased salivation
- mucosal swelling
- abdominal pain
In the event of severe poisoning, the following additional symptoms may occur:
- cardiac arrhythmia
- increased or decreased urine output
Whereas in cases of acute poisoning, it is often advisable to try to remove the poison from the body, this is not recommended in the case of begonia, as the poison irritates the mucous membranes and this can lead to respiratory distress. In the case of begonia poisoning, the vet will cool and treat irritated areas, serve drinks or food containing calcium, administer painkillers and monitor the heart and kidney function.