Dyer's broom is highly toxic for dogs

Genista tinctoria highly toxic

Dyer's broom grows as a small shrub that can reach a height of about half a metre and has cane-like and very branched shoots with small leaves on them.

The bright yellow flowers are particularly striking from June to August. Tiny little butterfly flowers sit in heaps on the shoots and shine from afar. They attract bees.

After flowering, pod-like, flat seed husks develop.

Dyer's broom is often found in dry areas such as heaths, forest edges or in the mountains.

Dyer's broom gets its name from its former use as a dye plant. The yellow dye of broom was already used by the ancient Romans to dye fabrics.


Dyer's broom is also known as:
  • dyer's greenweed
Dyer's broom is highly poisonous to dogs

What should I do if my dog ate Dyer's broom?

How toxic is Dyer's broom?

Toxicity:highly toxic (highly toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the dyer's broom are highly poisonous. However, the leaves and especially the seeds of the dyer's broom contain particularly high levels of the poison.
Toxic time:-
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Dyer's broom

Plant species:Garden and wild plant
Occurrence:The Alps, Mountains, Rocks, Gardens
Areas:Asia, Europe
Flowering time:summer
Fruit ripening:summer, autumn

Symptoms

The following symptoms may occur when a dog is poisoned with dyer's broom:

  • stomach and intestinal complaints
    • vomiting
    • diarrhoea
    • nausea
    • salivation
    • constipation and intestinal obstruction possible
  • restlessness
  • increased pulse rate
  • paralysis
  • circulatory collapse, unconsciousness
  • death possible due to paralysis of the respiratory centre

Treatment

The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body. 

To relieve the symptoms, the vet can give infusions and antispasmodic medication.

You can find more information about poisoning in dogs here: Poisoning in dogs: avoid, recognise and treat.

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2022 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy