Golden rain is extremely toxic for dogs

Laburnum anagyroides extremely toxic

Golden rain (common laburnum) is a deciduous shrub or tree that can reach a height of up to 6 metres and is known for its striking golden-yellow flower panicles.

The oval, long leaves grow up to 8 cm long. They are dark green on top, grey-green and slightly hairy on the underside. The flowers are very conspicuous, large and bright yellow hanging panicles that are not fragrant.

The black, very poisonous berries grow in pods, which in turn grow up to 8 cm long and are slightly hairy.

All parts of the laburnum are very poisonous to dogs, especially the seeds contain the poison in a high concentration.

Golden rain is also known as:
  • common laburnum
  • golden chain
Golden rain in glorious bloom

What should I do if my dog ate Golden rain?

How toxic is Golden rain?

Toxicity:extremely toxic (extremely toxic)
Toxic parts:The entire golden rain is poisonous, but especially the seeds are very poisonous.
Toxic time:winter, spring, summer, autumn
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Golden rain

Plant species:tree
Occurrence:Gardens, Parks, Forests
Areas:Western Europe
Flowering time:spring, summer
Fruit ripening:autumn


The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with laburnum:

  • increased salivation
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • abdominal pain
  • diarrhoea
  • movement disorders
  • muscle cramps
  • tremors
  • paralysis
  • shortness of breath
  • death may occur due to cardiac arrest or respiratory paralysis


The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body. 

In severe cases of poisoning, the vet can give infusions and medicines against pain and cramps as well as to protect the stomach lining. In severe cases, artificial respiration may be necessary.

More information on dog poisonings can be found here: 

Preventing, identifying and treating poisoning in dogs


DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
Über uns - Imprint - Privacy Policy