Guelder rose is toxic for dogs
The guelder rose is a mostly deciduous shrub of which there are many different varieties.
The bushes grow up to 5 metres high, their leaves are green and some have beautiful autumn colours. The flowers are mostly round or oval umbels in white. The fruits are berry-like drupes that can turn red or even blackish blue when ripe.
What should I do if my dog ate Guelder rose?
How toxic is Guelder rose?
|Toxic parts:||The entire guelder rose is poisonous, but especially the leaves, bark and unripe berries.|
|Toxic time:||winter, spring, summer, autumn|
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.
Occurrence Guelder rose
|Occurrence:||Gardens, Parks, Forests|
|Flowering time:||spring, summer|
|Fruit ripening:||summer, autumn|
The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with the guelder rose:
- stomach pain
The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.
There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:
1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body.
To alleviate the symptoms, the vet can give anti-nausea medication and also infusions.
More information on dog poisonings can be found here: