Zanzibar gem is toxic for dogs

Zamioculcas zamiifolia toxic

Zanzibar gem is an evergreen, non-hardy houseplant that can grow up to 1.5 metres high. It belongs to the poisonous Araceae family and is popular for its robustness and leathery, glossy green leaves. Its flowers consist of a light green bracts and a yellow flower bulb.

It is often kept as a houseplant. But be careful: all parts of the Zanzibar gem are poisonous to dogs, especially the water in the pot. Zanzibar gem contains oxalic acid and oxalates, which can severely damage the dog's kidneys.


Zanzibar gem is also known as:
  • ZZ plant
  • Zuzu plant
  • aroid palm
  • eternity plant
  • emerald palm
Branch of the Zanzibar gem

What should I do if my dog ate Zanzibar gem?

How toxic is Zanzibar gem?

Toxicity:toxic (toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the Zanzibar gem are poisonous.
Toxic time:winter, spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Zanzibar gem

Plant species:Indoor plant
Occurrence:Indoor
Areas:-
Flowering time:-
Fruit ripening:-

Symptoms

The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with the Zanzibar gem:

  • increased salivation
  • irritation and swelling of the mucous membrane of the mouth after exposure
  • later nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhoea
  • in cases of very severe poisoning, heart and kidney problems (increased urination and even failure to pass urine) may occur

Treatment

While in acute poisoning it is often advisable to try to remove the poison from the body, this is not advisable in the case of Zanzibar gem, as the poison irritates the mucous membranes and can lead to shortness of breath.

In cases of poisoning with Zanzibar gem, the vet will cool and treat irritated areas, give calcium-containing drinks or even food, and administer painkillers. In severe cases of poisoning, monitoring the dog's heart and kidney function may be useful.

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2022 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy