Alpine delphinium is highly toxic for dogs

Delphinium elatum highly toxic

Alpine delphinium is a perennial plant that can be found in gardens and woods. Alpine delphinium can grow up to 1.5 metres high. It has palmate, slightly pinnate leaves and its strikingly large and colourful flowers grow in racemes. There are many different colours, but mostly it blossoms blue to purple.

All parts of the alpine delphinium are poisonous to dogs, but especially the seeds.


Alpine delphinium is also known as:
  • candle larkspur
Delphinium with flowers in dark blue-purple

What should I do if my dog ate Alpine delphinium?

How toxic is Alpine delphinium?

Toxicity:highly toxic (highly toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the alpine delphinium are poisonous, but especially the seeds.
Toxic time:winter, spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Alpine delphinium

Plant species:flower, Garden and wild plant
Occurrence:Gardens, Forests
Areas:Europe
Flowering time:summer
Fruit ripening:summer

Symptoms

Symptoms of alpine delphinium poisoning in dogs may include:

  • increased salivation
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • abdominal pain
  • diarrhoea
  • impaired movement
  • paralysis
  • respiratory distress
  • death may occur due to respiratory paralysis

Treatment

The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.

2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.

3. VOMITING: It is also possible to induce vomiting with the aid of medication to remove the toxin from the body, provided the dog is not in shock or unconscious. Vomiting should only be induced by a vet and never self-administered.

In the case of severe poisoning, the vet can relieve respiratory distress with artificial respiration.

More information on dog poisonings can be found here: 

Preventing, identifying and treating poisoning in dogs

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
Über uns - Imprint - Privacy Policy