Poinsettia is slightly toxic for dogs

Euphorbia pulcherrima slightly toxic

The poinsettia, which is very popular around Christmas time, belongs to the Euphorbia genus and originates from Mexico. The evergreen shrub is slightly toxic to toxic and can even grow up to 1.2 metres high. It actually only has inconspicuous yellow small flowers, but they are surrounded by colourful bracts, which we usually count as part of the flower. These can be white, pink or even red and flower in December. It has large, green leaves.

All parts of the poinsettia are slightly toxic to dogs, especially the milky white sap contains the poison in high concentrations.

Poinsettias with red flowers (bracts)

What should I do if my dog ate Poinsettia?

How toxic is Poinsettia?

Toxicity:slightly toxic (slightly toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the poinsettia are slightly toxic to dogs, especially the milky white sap contains the poison in high concentrations.
Toxic time:winter, spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Poinsettia

Plant species:flower, Shrub, Indoor plant
Occurrence:Indoor
Areas:-
Flowering time:winter, spring, autumn
Fruit ripening:-

Symptoms

The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with poinsettia:

  • increased salivation
  • irritation and swelling of the mucous membrane of the mouth
  • shortness of breath
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • stomach pain

In case of very severe poisoning, the following symptoms may also occur:

  • cardiovascular problems
  • death can occur due to circulatory collapse

Treatment

The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body. 

In the case of severe poisoning, the vet may administer infusions, painkillers and antispasmodic drugs and give a mucosal protection.

More information on dog poisonings can be found here: 

Preventing, identifying and treating poisoning in dogs

 

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2022 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy