Fuzzy kiwifruit is slightly toxic for dogs

Actinidia deliciosa slightly toxic

The kiwi is a fruiting vine that can grow up to 10 metres long. Its stems are hairy and the leaves are slightly heart-shaped or oval. Depending on the variety, the fruits are about the size of a hen's egg, but in our latitudes they can also be considerably smaller. The skin is brown and slightly hairy, the flesh is green, with black seeds radiating around a yellow seed in the centre.

All parts of the kiwi plant are poisonous to dogs with the exception of the kiwi fruit. Dogs are allowed to eat kiwi fruit, but you should be aware of a few aspects when giving it to them.

Kiwi plant with fruit (South Tyrol)

What should I do if my dog ate Fuzzy kiwifruit?

How toxic is Fuzzy kiwifruit?

Toxicity:slightly toxic (slightly toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the kiwi are toxic to animals except the kiwi fruit. This can be fed in small quantities as long as the dog is not allergic.
Toxic time:-
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Fuzzy kiwifruit

Plant species:tree, fruit
Occurrence:Fields and farmland, Unbuilt land, Gardens
Areas:-
Flowering time:-
Fruit ripening:-

Symptoms

The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with a kiwi plant:

  • irritation of the oral mucosa
  • increased salivation
  • later on, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhoea may occur

In case of very severe poisoning, the following additional symptoms may occur:

  • shortness of breath
  • muscle cramps
  • difficulty swallowing
  • very heavy salivation
  • a drop in blood pressure

Treatment

While in acute poisoning it is often advisable to try to remove the poison from the body, this is not advisable in cases of poisoning with the kiwi plant, as the poison irritates the mucous membranes and can lead to shortness of breath.

In case of poisoning with the kiwi plant, the vet will cool and treat irritated areas, give calcium-containing drinks or even food, administer painkillers. Monitoring of heart and kidney function may be useful if symptoms are severe.

Therapy may also include strengthening the animal with infusions and giving anti-nausea medication.

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2022 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy