Silver fir is slightly toxic for dogs

Abies alba slightly toxic

The silver fir is a conical conifer that can reach a height of up to 50 m.

The bark of the silver fir is white-grey. The needles of the silver fir are smooth-edged with notched tips and always occur in double rows. They have a shiny upper surface.

The flowers of the silver fir are reddish light green. The fir cones are greenish reddish brown and stick upwards. The seeds are brown. All parts of the silver fir are slightly poisonous to dogs and contain essential oils. This includes the pine cones, which some dogs like to play with. Dogs should also not play with silver fir twigs or branches.


Silver fir is also known as:
  • European silver fir
Branch of the silver fir

What should I do if my dog ate Silver fir?

How toxic is Silver fir?

Toxicity:slightly toxic (slightly toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the silver fir tree are poisonous. This includes the pine cones.
Toxic time:winter, spring, summer, autumn
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Silver fir

Plant species:tree
Occurrence:Gardens, Parks, Forests
Areas:Western Europe
Flowering time:spring, summer
Fruit ripening:autumn

Symptoms

The following symptoms can occur in case of poisoning with silver fir:

  • the mucous membrane in the mouth is reddened
  • increased salivation
  • vomiting
  • stomach pain
  • diarrhoea
  • muscle cramps
  • in very rare and severe cases of poisoning, respiratory paralysis can lead to death

Treatment

The vet will always try to remove the ingested poison from the body and alleviate the specific symptoms of poisoning.

There are different methods to remove the poison from the body:

1. ACTIVATED CHARCOAL: Activated charcoal can absorb toxins. If possible, it should be administered within 2 hours after ingestion of the poison, so that the toxin does not enter the bloodstream.
2. LAXATIVES: The vet may combine the administration of activated charcoal with a laxative.
3. VOMITING: The vet can also induce vomiting using medication to remove the toxin from the body. 

To alleviate the symptoms of poisoning, the vet can give infusions, as well as painkillers and antispasmodics.

More information on dog poisonings can be found here: 

Preventing, identifying and treating poisoning in dogs

 

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2023 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy