Chrysanthemum is highly toxic for dogs

Chrysanthemum highly toxic

The chrysanthemum is a very popular autumn flower in gardens, on balconies or in the vase. It belongs to the family Asteraceae. There are over 40 species and over 5000 varieties, most of which are found in East Asia and China. They are very closely related to asters. In China, the Shih Tzu dog breed is said to have a face resembling a chrysanthemum flower because of its circular hair growth.

Chrysanthemums are flowering plants up to 1 metre high. They can grow as annuals as well as perennials and subshrubs. Their leaves are divided into leaflets with toothed or occasionally smooth edges. The flowers look very different depending on the species and many have been bred to bear many rows of ray florets in a great variety of colours. We often find them in bright yellow, red, orange or even purple or white. Basically, every colour except blue can occur.

While some Chrysanthemum species are even edible for humans, others are highly poisonous for humans and dogs. In general, you should assume that the common chrysanthemums found in flower shops and garden centres are among the plants that are poisonous to dogs. They are often treated with pesticides and artificial fertilisers, which can also be dangerous for your dog.

All parts of the chrysanthemum are highly poisonous: the leaves, the stems, the flowers and also the sap. They contain pyrethrins.


Chrysanthemum is also known as:
  • mum
  • chrysanth
Chrysanthemums in purple bloom

What should I do if my dog ate Chrysanthemum?

How toxic is Chrysanthemum?

Toxicity:highly toxic (highly toxic)
Toxic parts:All parts of the chrysanthemum are highly poisonous: the leaves, the stems, the flowers and also the sap.
Toxic time:-
Antidote:Unknown
POISONINGS REQUIRE QUICK REACTION:
If your dog shows symptoms of poisoning, it is always an emergency! Time is critical for your dog's life. You should immediately call your vet or the animal emergency services and make sure that a vet is on site and then go there immediately. For the treatment, it helps the vet a lot to know what your dog has ingested.

Occurrence Chrysanthemum

Plant species:flower, Garden and wild plant
Occurrence:Gardens, Parks, Indoor
Areas:Asia, Europe, Central Europe
Flowering time:summer, autumn
Fruit ripening:-

Symptoms

The following symptoms may occur in case of poisoning with the chrysanthemum:

  • irritation of the mucous membrane
  • nausea, increased salivation, vomiting
  • lethargy, drowsiness and sleepiness
  • cramps and tremors
  • urinary disorders
  • impaired vision or even blindness
  • death may occur due to kidney and/or liver failure

Treatment

While in the case of acute poisoning one should often try to remove the poison from the body, if necessary by induced vomiting, this is not advisable in the case of chrysanthemums. The poison can irritate the mucous membranes so that shortness of breath can occur.

In the case of chrysanthemum poisoning, the vet can cool and treat irritated areas and give calcium-containing drinks or even food. The administration of painkillers and monitoring of heart and kidney functions are other possible therapies.

DigiDogs in other languages and countries DeutschlandGreat BritainUnited StatesPolska
Copyright © 2022 DigiDogs, unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved.
About Us - Imprint - Privacy Policy